A tire service is one of those skills that a motorist should dominate. So save the money for a call on the road and quickly can again continue.
Before the tire change, consider that this is a basic auto repair guide. Read the manual to learn exactly how to make a tire service you in your model. Never lie down under a vehicle that is raised only with a car Jack. If it is still necessary, use an approved Jack to support the rack to the car. Wear always eye protection also when working on your car.
Collect the following tool then continue the repair:
- Chisel, ripe iron or a large screwdriver
- the key for the wheel lock (if applicable)
- Wheel nut key
- Wheel chocks or bricks
- Rubber hammer
- Work gloves
Read also: Car maintenance guide: How to auto repair
How to change the tires:
1. Park your car on a hard, level surface. If this is not possible, the base should be as flat as possible.
2. Make the vehicle in the parking position, or in the backward position in a manual transmission when it has an automatic transmission.
3. Tighten the hand brake and take the key from the ignition lock.
4. Place a chock or a brick on the diagonally opposite side of tyre, which is to be changed. If you want to change, for example, the left front, you should wedge the right rear tire. An additional backup would be to put chocks on both tires.
5. If your car has separate Hubcaps, you should remove it with a chisel. To do this, place the chisel under the edge of the Mudguard and leverage these carefully on. Repeat this process at various points of the Hubcaps to solve it and take it off completely.
6. If you need a special key for the wheel lock, plug it into the wheel Castle and place on the wheel nut key. Rotate it counter clockwise until is raises the wheel lock.
Note: On some vehicles, the screw connections have left hand thread. You can see this L on the letter, which is printed on the screw connections. In this case, turn the wheel key clockwise.
Read also: How to repair oil leaks from steering box
7. Put the screw in a safe place where she not can roll away and solve the remaining nuts. At this point, you should only solved the nuts, not remove. If a wheel nut is hard to solve, put the bike key in a possible horizontal position and try to solve with the foot of the stuck wheel nut. This way, a stubborn nuts can crack.
8. Now position the jacks as specified in the manual of your car. It is used usually to the front of the rear axle and behind the front wheels. Place a piece of wood under the Jack if the surface is grass, sandy or marshy.
9. Lift the car slowly and steadily until the tire touching the ground just. With the wheel key, remove all nuts and set them aside.
10. Lift the vehicle, until the wheel above the ground stands and take off the wheel.
11. Place the spare tyres on the studs and put the nuts on by hand as far as possible. It is helpful to jiggle the wheel.
12. Spare tyres is attached and secure, you let down the car until the tire touching the ground. Use the wheel key, to move all nuts firmly. This should be done in a specific order. If you have four wheel nuts, tighten the wheel nut first and then the crosswise over this, then that right from this this clockwise and the last wheel nut to. If you have five wheel nuts, the order is a star pattern. You have six wheel nuts, is the order that same as when four wheel nuts, but with two additional nuts.
13. Lower the car completely down and still once firmly draw to the nuts. If you are doing the foot on the end of the wheel key, you can be sure that the nuts are sufficiently tightened.
14. As soon as possible should you go however to a workshop, to make properly tighten the nuts.
Tips and hints to changing tyres
A hydraulic car Jack makes jacking up the car easier. A 30 x 30 cm square of plywood is sufficient as a base if your is on sandy substrate.
Practice several times to work to familiarize the tire service, so that you are better prepared to do the changing of tyres at the roadside.
Make sure jacks, spare tire and wheel key are kept in any case in the car.
Generally, a wheel key offers a greater leverage and a better support than the wheel key supplied with your vehicle.
Many vehicles with aluminium rims have a rim lock which is required to release the wheel. Think to carry also the key to the castle of the rims.